The Batesville Fire Department was busy minutes into 2018.
Around 12:40 a.m. on New Year’s Day, the department was called to a College Street residence to what was initially believed to be a chimney flue fire, according to Batesville Fire Chief Brent Gleghorn. Overheated gas logs were the ultimate culprit, the chief noted. The fire was contained and minimal damage was sustained to the home.
While on the scene of that fire, the department was paged to a car fire on Jean Street.
“By the time the guys got on scene there,” Chief Gleghorn told White River Now’s Gary Bridgman, “it was a house fire because the car was in the carport. Thank goodness the house was built correctly when it was built, and it had brick walls on two sides of the carport, and the ceiling was drywall, so it held the fire long enough, protected the house enough, that we got there, and there was a little bit of the fire in the attic, but it was not hard to put out, and it didn’t do really any damage to the interior of the house…maybe a little smoke damage.”
The temperature at the time: 8 degrees with a minus 4 degrees wind chill.
The chief noted the department had wrapped everything up by 2:30 a.m.
To listen to Chief Gleghorn’s comments, click below.
A burned car sits in front of a Jean Street residence in Batesville after an early morning New Year’s Day fire.
Get up-to-date local news and weather with Gary B. each weekday morning by listening to Ozark Newsline on Arkansas 103.3, 93 KZLE, and other W.R.D. Entertainment radio stations. If you have a news tip or event to promote, email White River Now at firstname.lastname@example.org.